Onder het motto van Peter Drucker 'culture eats strategy for breakfast' noemt Brene Brown (die onder andere zware managers coacht) 10 vragen die haar helpen een bedrijfscultuur beter te begrijpen:
1. What behaviours are rewarded? Punished?
2. Where and how are people actually spending their resources (time, money, attention)?
3. What rules and expectations are followed, enforced and ignored?
4. Do people feel safe and supported talking about how they feel and asking for what they need?
5. What are the sacred cows? Who is most likely to tip them? Who stands the cows back up?
6. What stories are legend and what values do they convey?
7. What happens when someone fails, disappoints or makes a mistake?
8. How is vulnerability (uncertainty, risk and emotional exposure) perceived?
9. How prevalent are shame and blame and how are they showing up?
10. What is the collective tolerance of discomfort? Is the discomfort of learning, trying new things and giving and receiving feedback normalized, or is there a high premium put on comfort (and how does that look)?
(Daring greatly, Brene Brown, p174)
Deze vragen beschrijven voor haar (Brown) de discrepantie tussen wat we zeggen en wat we doen. Loop ze eens door, wellicht kom je tot nieuwe inzichten!